Thursday, July 1, 2010

Canada Day

Today is Canada Day (equivalent of 4th of July in the States). We checked out the festivities at Granville Island this morning, but it was a little rainy (they have that spitting rain here), so our visit was short and sweet. On this day, I thought it'd be appropriate to list my initial observations, comments, etc. on Vancouver and its differences from New York.

- I don't get the weather. It is really comfortable as I can't stand the NY humidity, but I certainly get why layers are necessary. It could be cloudy and 55 degrees in the morning and then 70 degrees in the afternoon (always after 2:00pm - strange). I hope we will get used to it quickly!

- People are immune to rain. While Melvin & I struggle to put our stroller cover on the kids, everyone walks around (some in shorts, tank tops and sandals) like it's not raining.

- For a "green" city/province, they don't have garbage cans on every block like NY.

- Canadian money is magnetic (sticks to the magnet in my coin purse; can't tell you how annoying that is).

- They call the $1 coins "loonies" and the $2 coins "twonies". No comment.

- One is able to navigate the entire city and surroundings on a bike or with a stroller (without having to fold it up). All the buses accommodate strollers with a ramp and standing area. People actually get up and move to the back!! Today, we discovered "Cyquabuses", which are the transit boats in the city. Awesome. It is the most kid friendly city I have ever been in.

- People are extremely fit here, annoying but motivating.

- Everyone has a 604 or 778 area code. They are scared of my 917 area code. I have had to tell them that I am on a US and Canadian plan and it's okay to call me!

- There is a Starbucks or Blenz Coffee on every block in downtown - more coffee than Seattle!

- Sockeye Salmon is abundant and way cheaper here...we won't be short on our omega-3's while living here.

- I swear, about 80% of the kids here are of a mixed race. Pretty cool for Julian and Amélie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts