Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pão de Queijo - Pan de Queso (Cheese Bun)

Sometime in my past life, pre-babies, pre-marriage, pre-major responsibilities, I had the opportunity to travel to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  Future hosts of the Summer Olympics, World Cup...also known the land of beaches, bikinis, babes and oh, the best plastic surgeons in the world.

During my visit, I picked on these delectable treats called Pão de Queijo, which Brazilians often serve in place of the "free" bread you get at a restaurant.  The outside has just enough crustiness and the middle is filled with chewy goodness.   Very addicting, I must say!

I found a place in Vancouver that actually makes a gluten-free, wheat-free, yeast-free, non-dairy version of them at this place called Quejos.  The second I found out, I loaded the family into the car and off we went.  Certainly not as good as Rio, but a nice find, in my opinion.  I'm a bit obsessed with them now and found a super easy recipe for them (the recipe is not dairy-free, is certainly low in carbs because of the manioc - yuca - starch).

I'll be making batches of these bad boys and freezing them!  Enjoy!

Pão de Queijo - Pan de Queso
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup tapioca or manioc starch(225 grams)
    (recommend manioc starch)
  • egg
  • 100g of grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Bring to boil in a big pan the water, the milk, the oil and the salt.
  2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the tapioca starch. Mix well with a wooden spoon and let it cool down.
  3. Put the mixture in a bowl, add the eggs and knead well.
  4. Add the grated cheese and keep kneading until the dough is smooth.
  5. Roll 1 tablespoon of mixture into small balls.
    (Tip: Grease your hands with oil if it's too sticky.)
  6. Place the balls onto a greased baking tray.
  7. Bake the cheese buns in hot oven (350 degrees) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Put the cheese rolls in a basket and serve them warm.
CHEWY GOODNESS!

2 comments:

  1. Hey you ;) I need to try Pão de Queijo. Yesterday, I was catching up on a recipe blog and the latest posting was a recipe on on Pão de Queijo. Now, I go on your blog and I find this recipe. Must be a sign of something to make during Christmas break! Happy Holidays to you and the fam!

    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. TELL ME HOW IT COMES OUT!! I haven't tried it yet! Merry Christmas xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts