Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Here are some more...

My last entry was so well received that I decided to include some conversations we've had with some of the locals.  Mind you, I hope they never see this blog.

Conversation #1
This conversation transpired in our garage between our neighbor (very nice people) who is a cop (very important detail) and Melvin.  The names of these people have been purposely altered to protect their identities.  =P

Melvin: Hey Man
Man: Hey Melvin, how's it going?  Did you manage to get your car insurance and all that set up yet?
Melvin: Nah, I need to get an inspection first.
Man: Oh well, you really should remove the tint off you car's front windows.
Melvin: Really?  Why?
Man: Well, you know, it's illegal because only gangsters really have tint on their cars.
Melvin: Ok,..
Later on...Melvin says to me: "Gangsters? I haven't heard that word since the '80s"
LOL - much to Melvin's dismay, we were forced to have our tint removed as it is actually illegal here.  BOO!

A WEEK LATER
Man's Wife: Hey Coleen, how're things going?
Coleen:  Oh, things are going well.  Tell Man we had our tint removed finally.
Man's Wife: Yeah, that's a good thing because the gangsters here really took the tint to the next level.
Seriously, it sounds so much funnier in person.

Conversation #2
There is a certain someone Melvin encounters on a regular basis and apparently he's extremely anti-American.  Melvin doesn't really care for him.  Here are some comments he has made.

Annoying Man: Gosh, Americans are so fat, the food portions there are ridiculous.  I worked there for 10 days once and gained 15 lbs.  (this man is like 300 lbs)
Melvin: Oh ok, whose fault is that!  (he didn't really say this but was thinking it)

I was actually about to write more comments Melvin had shared with me, but decided I don't want to piss people off or leave a bad taste in your mouth regarding Canadians.  This guy is actually the first one we've met that has this attitude about Americans.  It's actually quite interesting to hear people's stereotypical thoughts.  Often times, Americans are the ones stereotyping others.  It is almost fascinating to hear the other end of it.  Here is one example that I encountered.

Conversation #3
Coleen: I'm having a hard time finding organic meat here and I'm noticing that there is no organic yogurt for babies.
Fellow Mom: Yeah, you have to go to certain specialty shops to get more variety and I don't think I've ever seen organic yogurt for babies.  Are you sure the labels are legit in America though?  I mean, when they say organic, does it truly have proper guidelines to be classified as such.
Coleen: Um, yeah!  (in my mind, I was thinking the same thing about Canadian products.  Go figure.)

Conversation #4 - this transpired when we were opening our mailbox in Washington State in Blaine, WA.
Coleen:  Are you familiar with this town?
Woman: Yeah, kind of, are you looking for something in particular?
Coleen:  Just a place to grab lunch.  It doesn't look like there's much around here (we were right over the border and it was a VERY small town).
Woman:  No, not much in Blaine.  You'd have to drive 15-20 minutes south to find more things, but there is a Subway that they just opened and there's a Little Caesar's pizza shop here.

LOL - remember Little Caesar's?  Pizza! Pizza!  love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts