Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bliss

Happiness is one of those things that many are always searching for.  What will make one happy?  Love? Success? Money? Vacation?  


One of the things I learned in my yoga teacher training course (it's almost over, so these entries some of you may find annoying will eventually come to an end!) is that people shouldn't look for happiness or try to achieve happiness.  With happiness, there is also unhappiness.


Happiness often relies on circumstance:
I can't wait until I graduate college...
I can't wait until I get married...
I can't wait until I go on vacation...
I can't wait to become a millionaire...
I can't wait to retire...


What you should strive for is...BLISS.  Bliss is the internal state of being that does not rely on circumstance.  It is a place where you are at ease no matter the situation in your life.  What is the opposite of bliss?  The dictionary says "misery", but when we had a discussion in my class today, I totally get it and I totally believe that once you are in a state of bliss, that's it. No one and nothing can take that away from you, except yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts