Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Colonics Continued

There have been a lot of questions offline about the medical viewpoint and insurance coverage of colonics.  This is what I know and then I'm totally done with this topic :)

Doctors: They usually want a scientific answer and/or benefit of something.  I am not sure  if doctors really know too much about the irrigation part of it and its benefits, (unless one researches and/or does it, right?), but most do know that the colon is somehow associated with the state of our health.  I would be interested to hear a viewpoint of one that has actually tried it.  Here are some statements that I've researched and heard of. 
Footnote: I've spoken to 3 hydrotherapists, 1 naturopathic doctor and asked about what they have talked to MDs about.  I also checked out WebMD. Melvin felt it was important I made my sources clear :)

Remember: To each his own. I am just stating what I've researched.


1- It is not natural. Totally fair, but well, neither are surgeries, neither are the toxins and chemicals and pesticides that we are ingesting these days.  Removing a gallbladder and,  moreso, without explaining to patients what the function of a gallbladder is, is also not "natural".  Just because the removal of a gallbladder  or appendix are totally normal surgeries these days does not mean they are natural either. 

2- It makes the muscles down there lazy and people rely on the procedure to go to the bathroom.  I know from experience that this is not true as for the first time since toddlerhood, I'm actually going everyday!  I also know 8 people that have gotten this procedure done and all can attest that this statement is false.

3- You lose probiotics (good bacteria) during the procedure. Yes, this is absolutely true.  This is like how chemotherapy kills your bad cells, as well as your good.  Your good and bad bacteria get cleansed out during the procedure.  This is why it's particularly important to take acidophilis (pill or liquid form) for  at least 2 days after.  However, most of us, as adults, should be taking acidophilis (good bacteria) everyday anyway.  Even both my kids take it.

Now, in regards to insurance...I've actually been able to get 90% covered through extended insurance.  So far, Canada rocks with that.  In the US it's not covered.  I believe that anything preventative (aside from a yearly physical exam once a year) is not covered in the US and people get treated for pre-existing conditions, for the most part.  Again, you go in with a stuffy nose, that is what they look at.  So dumb and so controversial, I'm not going to get into it.  

Not to mention, if you do feel something is wrong, you need to jump through hoops to get the proper tests covered by insurance for it (speaking from my mom's experience).  At the end of the day, prevention is the key word.  I know people that were put on diabetes medicine before they got diabetes "because it runs in their family".  How is that right? Also, how many people out there are on crazy strong acne medicine that causes depression, infertility, etc.  My only thoughts on this is look to the internal cleansing first...before reaching for that prescription. Most of us don't want to change our diets and lifestyles (trust me, I'm one of them)...it's a tough call.

Medicine costs more later when you really, really need it, so why not "do what we can" now. without the use of prescription meds...At the end of the day, this is the reason I'm so open to alternative medicine, as well as organic foods.  Do what we can, right?

Okay...moving on to the next thing...til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts