Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Meditative State"

Melvin has been going to acupuncture treatments, as have I, and we often compare experiences.  He says he "thinks" he falls asleep sometimes, but a "light" sleep because when the doctor comes in, he wakes up right away.  Since the sessions are fairly short (20 min), I told him he's probably in a "meditative state", which is great, because he's actually allowing himself to let go of his thoughts and slow his central nervous system down....This "zone" is a wonderful place; I highly recommend it.

Now that I've been teaching yoga for a couple months now, it's interesting to observe my students.  It is so evident when an individual has a full mind, heavy heart and is unable to just "let go".  Sometimes I want to shake them and tell them to clear their mind and listen to what I'm saying, rather than thinking about work, kids, school or whatever it is that is boggling their minds!

This is more common than not.  That was certainly one of my struggles when starting yoga.  I used to do yoga practically every day my senior year in college and even so, I admit that I never reached that higher level of the practice...the zone...Now that I know what it is, I want to share it with the world; however, I just hold the tools and it's up to the individual unfortunately.

All I can say is...breathe...let go...

Here is a very cool video I found (after watching it a few times, I realized the flies are thoughts). Some of my students actually look like this - opening one eye, twitching, readjusting...LET GO PEOPLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts