Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Naps

Children's naps are like a parent's enemy and best friend, all at the same time. Why do I think this?


Well, to start, they have been a thorn on my side because you're bound to them if you want to get your child on a schedule. You screw with the nap, you screw with your sleep at night...


Therefore, we've been strict with Julian's naps from day one (mama needs her sleep too!). It worked like a charm and was like clockwork, but meant I couldn't really make plans during nap time or had to work around it, be bound to the house or get a babysitter, etc. etc...Then, Julian turned 3 and all of a sudden, he didn't want to nap.  Goodness, now I have to entertain him for 2-3 more hours of the day??  I think I preferred the thorn!! Boy, did I take it for granted!

The past 2 days, however, Julian (and his sister) have given me 3 blissful hours of afternoon peace. How did I get him to sleep?

Well, on Monday, we watched a 4-D version of Polar Express at the aquarium. Loud surround sound, water splashing in face, chair poking our backs and moving to the motion of the train, the works...Julian thoroughly enjoyed it, but got completely freaked out!  Here was my chance!



Julian, if you don't take a nap, the Polar Express will be coming to take you to the North Pole!

Terrible, but hey, whatever works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts