Monday, December 12, 2011

Oink, Oink

As if all the eating we did in Hawaii was not enough, I had ordered 1/2 a pig from Gelderman Farms in Abbotsford, B.C. prior to our departure. It was ready for pick-up the day we landed! I've always wanted to buy part of a pig or a cow from a farm ever since I saw it on Jon & Kate plus 8, especially since I'm a big supporter of local farms, produce and vendors (no matter where I'm living). I've been buying pork chops (bone-in of course) from Gelderman Farms at the local farmer's markets when I figured, hey, why not? Our friends agreed to split 1/2 the pig (so we got 1/4 each) with us, since I was afraid it wouldn't fit in our freezer. 

Well, what does 1/2 a pig get you, one may ask?
3 rolled roasts (butt or shoulder) or 8 steaks
3 loin roasts or 27 chops
4 hams or 18 cutlets
7 lbs bacon
1 spare rib
12 lbs trim (sausages and/or ground)


Turns out our freezer could handle it just fine!! We'll likely have Pernil (Dominican Pork Shoulder) on Christmas Day and perhaps, Baked Ham on New Year's Day. Oink, Oink

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. ― Anthony Bourdain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts